Shifts & Corsets Oh My!

I promised on my about page that I would post daily updates. I really thought I could do it. It was only six days ago that I was cruising along, making this goal seem easy. Until it wasn't...
Yeah, I tried guys but daily updates are not manageable when my school year ends in three weeks and I have projects and essays that I need to do. Even so, don't despair!

I have been sewing, okay, I have been trying to sew. My first attempt at an 18th-century shift failed miserably (I blame it on the sleeves!). Shifts, chemises, and smocks are all supposed to be quick and easy projects. Sadly, they aren't' if you add the sleeves the way I did. I tried to put them on in an un-historically accurate way that backfired. I will be doing more research on 18th-century undergarments before I attempt another one. Honestly, the shift is unusable and ugly. The interiors are also a mess and I botched the french seams! I want my undergarments to be perfect. Every good dress needs a good foundation. My high standards are a little ridiculous but if they yield better results it is worth it. I don't have any photos of the process because it was a frustrating mess of wasted time.

So, what's next?

I am waiting for some books on corset making to come (I hope that little hint was helpful to tell you guys about what is coming next!) Get excited about drawers, chemises, and, crinolines (you could even say corsets and crinolines)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

18th Century Recipes for Perfumes, Pomatums, Powders and Cosmetics

June 1 1533: What Anne Boleyn Wore To Her Coronation

Godey's Lady Book Online!